Coffee drinkers generally have varying moods when enjoying their favourite wake-me-up beverage. Not every day is a fancy coffee day. On some days when time is short and you are on the go, all you need is a quick aromatic coffee to kick-start the day!
That’s where the simple, Indonesian style Kopi Tubruk comes handy. So, what makes this particular cup of coffee exceptional?
What is Kopi Tubruk?
Kopi Tubruk is notably the most traditional and ubiquitous way of drinking coffee in Indonesia. This strong, flavourful coffee may not be everyone’s cup of tea coffee due to its unique brewing process! Like a Turkish coffee, coffee is brewed without a filter and the coffee grounds remain in the cup. So be sure to let the grounds settle to the bottom before enjoying your hot cuppa!
DIY: How to make Kopi Tubruk?Here’s our step-by-step guide to mastering the art of Kopi Tubruk:
- Add two teaspoons of fine-medium ground coffee into a coffee mug. If you love sweet coffee, add sugar now.
- Pour off-boiling water (wait 2 mins for water to slightly cool) to brew a well-balanced cup.
- Stir thoroughly to mix the water and coffee grounds.
- Let sit for 3-5 minutes and the coffee grounds will settle to the bottom.
- Your coffee is now ready! (Remember to leave the “mud” behind!)
Some Tips & Tricks:
Add sweetened condensed milk to enjoy a rich and creamy Kopi Susu (traditional latte), and gently stir above the grinds (to avoid agitation)!
Adding condensed milk gives your Kopi Tubruk a rich creaminess.
If you would like to further explore the beautiful flavours that Kopi Tubruk has to offer, be ready to be wow-ed by JJ Royal Coffee’s luxurious Kopi Tubruk collection - ranging from black coffee to exciting latte flavours such as cinnamon, caramel and hazelnut!
JJ Royal Coffee. Indonesia’s supreme mountain coffee.